Anyone signed up to Kayo new sports online streaming service? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Anyone signed up to Kayo new sports online streaming service?

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Living overseas, I use watchafl which is for outside Australia only, but I can only imagine that technically, it is pretty much the same stream as what you get in Australia on Kayo.
Before this year, I have always had a very strange problem with it. Typically I chromecast it from my Android phone to my TV. In almost every game, the first half was perfect. The second half would buffer pretty badly. I tried everything. Even if I restarted absolutely every piece of technology at half time, I still had this problem. And it also didn't matter what time the game started.
This year, I have bought a smart TV (LG-Oled) which has webOS on it. There is no watchafl app on that but it has a browser and I use that. It has been perfect all year, all games. I don't know whether they have changed something or removing the chromecast middle-man has had an effect but it's noticeably better. My TV is physically connected to the router now so the wireless factor in general has also been removed.
I have 1,000 MBS which is useful but I had that last year, too. I am told a decent video stream only requires 4 MBS.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Finally, killed off my Foxtel and tried Kayo on the free trial. Casting from a Galaxy S20 to a chromecast ultra the picture was jerky and unstable. Tried my 3 year old laptop plugged in via HDMI. No better. I have a 3 year old LG Oled Which has a Foxtel app on it (no Kayo app unfortunately). The Foxtel app worked fine. I get about 50MBS

Any advice appreciated as I can’t work out why Kayo won’t work for me....I’ve already looked at all the settings on Kayo but there isn’t much to adjust.
It’s *smile*, pure and simple. I’ve done the same and if you read reviews a lot of people have trouble. I cast using either chromecast or Apple TV and the Apple TV casting is horrendous. I don’t think there’s anything you can do. And yeah, why there’s no app for smart TVs is odd.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
It’s *smile*, pure and simple. I’ve done the same and if you read reviews a lot of people have trouble. I cast using either chromecast or Apple TV and the Apple TV casting is horrendous. I don’t think there’s anything you can do. And yeah, why there’s no app for smart TVs is odd.

I'm not an apple user, but i do have an apple TV box at home (based on the re commendation from JB Hi-FI) and i am very happy with it. I can download and use any streaming app on the box.

Many brand new TV's have built in chromecast nowadays. my mum has one and i played around with it recently and loved it. I'm hoping to upgrade a couple of TV's at home with this at some point.

Reactions: 2 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Finally, killed off my Foxtel and tried Kayo on the free trial. Casting from a Galaxy S20 to a chromecast ultra the picture was jerky and unstable. Tried my 3 year old laptop plugged in via HDMI. No better. I have a 3 year old LG Oled Which has a Foxtel app on it (no Kayo app unfortunately). The Foxtel app worked fine. I get about 50MBS

Any advice appreciated as I can’t work out why Kayo won’t work for me....I’ve already looked at all the settings on Kayo but there isn’t much to adjust.

Why no Kayo app Tony ?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I'm not an apple user, but i do have an apple TV box at home (based on the re commendation from JB Hi-FI) and i am very happy with it. I can download and use any streaming app on the box.

Many brand new TV's have built in chromecast nowadays. my mum has one and i played around with it recently and loved it. I'm hoping to upgrade a couple of TV's at home with this at some point.
Yep. Me too. Works a treat. Bunch of loaded apps on the Apple Tv Box.....MLB, NHL, NBA, CBS New York....dozens of them. Streams real well. HD brilliance. Fantastic.

Only time I ever cast is if I'm using my VPN to access geo-blocked content from overseas and even that still works pretty well.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Nvidia shield TV is the best if you have the moola. You can even run Kayo through a 3rd party app via Kodi which makes navigating the menus much easier.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Nvidia shield TV is the best if you have the moola. You can even run Kayo through a 3rd party app via Kodi which makes navigating the menus much easier.

Yeah, I've replaced all my HTPC with Nvidia Shield tubes. Couldn't be happier. They can handle and decode anything you throw at them. You can sideload any android app that isn't available on Android TV and get the full experience directly on the TV.

Jewell

Tiger Cub
May 4, 2006
Thanks all. It would be a lot easier if my LG tv had the kayo app...but it doesn't.

I'll try the Nvidia Shield but as all my gear is pretty new I can only conclude that Kayo is #$@# and will have to wait for the new IQ5

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Kayo gives me the *smile*.

Just when we get the ball it buffers then *smile* itself

Reactions: 1 user

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
is the telecast delayed by 30-60 seconds? It says live but i doubt it.
I watching the last Q of Collingwood vs Port on Kayo on my phone and my wife turn on the TV and i could see the same game but about a 1 minute ahead.
I checked the buffering to make sure i didn't have the game delayed, but it was fine.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Why aren't you ussing the Kayo app on Apple TV? Casting from mobile devices is more likely to be fraught.

Not a fan of TV apps - used a couple on a Sony TV and the Sony wasn't powerful enough to run them smoothly.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Why aren't you ussing the Kayo app on Apple TV? Casting from mobile devices is more likely to be fraught.

Not a fan of TV apps - used a couple on a Sony TV and the Sony wasn't powerful enough to run them smoothly.
Yeah, it's not "Apple tv" it's the Apple casting icon.

Blind Charlie

Talk is cheap,just do it !
May 20, 2015
I have just cancelled my sub to Kayo, probably have a week or 2 left but its just not a quality service watching via app on a Samsung TV.
Screw paying good money for a *smile* service.

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Living overseas, I use watchafl which is for outside Australia only, but I can only imagine that technically, it is pretty much the same stream as what you get in Australia on Kayo.
Before this year, I have always had a very strange problem with it. Typically I chromecast it from my Android phone to my TV. In almost every game, the first half was perfect. The second half would buffer pretty badly. I tried everything. Even if I restarted absolutely every piece of technology at half time, I still had this problem. And it also didn't matter what time the game started.
This year, I have bought a smart TV (LG-Oled) which has webOS on it. There is no watchafl app on that but it has a browser and I use that. It has been perfect all year, all games. I don't know whether they have changed something or removing the chromecast middle-man has had an effect but it's noticeably better. My TV is physically connected to the router now so the wireless factor in general has also been removed.
I have 1,000 MBS which is useful but I had that last year, too. I am told a decent video stream only requires 4 MBS.
Thanks for this. A few times I have cast from my phone to my new TV but it is jerky and essentially just a replica of the iPad screen getting shifted to the TV.

I tried this tonight and was able to log into my Kayo account on the web browser and now streaming perfectly as full screen.

everything else has an app on the TV (Netflix, SBS, Amazon prime, Disney + etc etc but just not Kayo)

Reactions: 1 users