Changes v Crows | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Changes v Crows

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Whatever happens this week we need to get out in big numbers to support our team. We need a big crowd at the G on Sunday in a show of force. Support the boys and help them get over the line with a big win. Give the cheats at AFL and the umpires a big *smile* you; jeer like madmen at the Crows and the umpires; give them a taste of what it’s like when we play at their home ground. We won’t get home town decisions because of the concerted campaign against us but let’s at least let everyone know what we think of the situation.

Hopefully we get some stars back. We need a big win and a percentage boost. Despite how badly we’ve been treated this season we haven’t played very good football. That is borne out in our pathetic percentage and also the fact that Carlton and Essendon are both only a game behind us. After 10 games; there is some perspective about how we’re really travelling.

We are travelling worse than at any stage of the previous four seasons. The boys need to fire up and get it done this week. And we need to get behind them. No excuses.

• Love
Reactions: 20 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
cotchin prestia bolton. oh boy, here we *smile* go.

sometimes things change within a season and its hard to see the full picture until troops start coming back and we begin hitting some reasonable form.

we've been playing poorly across several positions and been undermanned to boot. but necessity has driven RCD's emergence as someone who belongs. if he's holding his own as a rookie in a midfield that is getting hammered, how good will he be with cotch and prestia alongside him?

let us assume edwards requires a cautious approach and sits out one more week. just with the three we have coming in the options for better spread and forward 50 boggle the mind.

this is how I'd like to set up for the rest of the year:

Short Balta Broad
Houli Grimes Vlastuin Baker
(Nank dropping back)

Pickett McIntosh
Cotchin Prestia Bolton RCD Graham rotating

(CCJ pushing forward)
Castagna Riewoldt Lynch
Martin Rioli Aarts

IN: Cotchin Prestia Bolton CCJ
OUT: Naish Ralphsmith Ross Astbury

I would play Lynch and Riewoldt high with Martin roaming deep as a perma-forward. Bolton to stay in the guts as a distributor / territory gain mid. Baker to stay back and run kamikaze intercept.

CCJ *must* come in as relief ruck and push into Martin's danger zone as often as he can. with the midfield cover Cotchin, Prestia and Bolton provide, rioli, Aarts and castagna can stay at home more often, look for the crumb.

Lambert and Edwards also to return. Graham and Rioli the first to go.

Reactions: 1 users

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
I think we need to reassess the forward line set up. Instead of having Martin at full forward I think the half forward line would work better. Bartlett was moved there in his later years and kicked 87 goals one year(I stand corrected from those that have the actual stat), Both Lynch and Jack need to play leading forward pocket players,but lead different ways so they have less chance to be ganged up .And give Caddy his final chance to just stay in the full forward area and use his marking and physical strength and make an impact.Would be very hard to cover all those areas for an opposing team IMO.

Reactions: 1 user

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
I think we need to drop Castagna and Houli as both their form and the change in the rules makes them virtually redundant. That then allows us to restructure our forward line and consolidate our defence. That wont happen so we'll continue to have issues.

I'd like to see

Broad Grimes Astbury
Flossy Balta Short
Kmac Cotchin Baker
Rioli Lynch Bolton
CCJ Jack Aarts
Nank Martin Prestia

Int: Graham RCD Ralphsmith Pickett (or Edwards/Stack if suspended)

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
We won't put in another tall as the MC don't want to sacrifice speed . . . that's going well isn't it?

It ain't working, there should be no fear of changing the structure a bit when we seem uncompetitive against the best teams. The only top team we have beaten is the top team with a lack of height. I think we are too short.

The running small forwards are not doing much at the moment, one of Rioli and Castagna need a break and I would say Rioli.

DS
.we used to have speed, now we like slow n senior

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Richmond VFL Report

Midfielder Josh Caddy starred for Richmond in the VFL on Saturday, finishing with 38 touches and 2.1 in the Tigers' 62-point win over Brisbane.

Youngster Callum Coleman-Jones followed up his five-goal performance last week with 21 touches, 11 marks, 15 hitouts and 4.4.

Fellow big man Mabior Chol also had a strong all-round performance, finishing with 3.2, 22 touches and 24 hitouts.

Young tall Samson Ryan made a big impact on the scoreboard with 4.1 from 12 touches.

Midfielder Will Martyn impressed with 30 disposals and nine tackles, while Derek Eggmolesse-Smith collected 23 disposals.

Reactions: 2 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Despite the obvious benefit of returning midfield stars this week, we can't expect the forward line to suddenly function as it should.

Dimma is an excellent coach these days, a master, but he can be as stubborn as a mule. Either he (or someone in that match committee) is convinced that we can't weaken the run that Rioli, Aarts and Castagna provide.

But we are absolutely missing a trick by playing ruck relief from the defensive pool. That's precisely where the constant destabilsation hurts us. First its Astbury moving out to ruck, then its Balta. If we have surplus height down back, don't play Astbury. Put the onus on Balta and Grimes to defend. On Broady to punch above his weight (he does this well). Put the onus on Vlastuin to run and intercept. And play Balls Baker down there.

Put some random menace back into our attack. It is imperative that we play a third marking tall, even if dusty can now be released of his midfield duties. CCJ is breaking the door down, would provide welcome relief ruck FROM THE FRONT HALF, making oppo defences constantly guessing how we structure up in F50.

And Dimma still gets his runners forward.

Seriously, this is such an obvious tactical benefit that sometimes I feel our coaches tie themselves in knots about what we might lose if we make a structural change. I hope Dimma isn't veering into predictable, conservative mode.

Reactions: 4 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Despite the obvious benefit of returning midfield stars this week, we can't expect the forward line to suddenly function as it should.

Dimma is an excellent coach these days, a master, but he can be as stubborn as a mule. Either he (or someone in that match committee) is convinced that we can't weaken the run that Rioli, Aarts and Castagna provide.

But we are absolutely missing a trick by playing ruck relief from the defensive pool. That's precisely where the constant destabilsation hurts us. First its Astbury moving out to ruck, then its Balta. If we have surplus height down back, don't play Astbury. Put the onus on Balta and Grimes to defend. On Broady to punch above his weight (he does this well). Put the onus on Vlastuin to run and intercept. And play Balls Baker down there.

Put some random menace back into our attack. It is imperative that we play a third marking tall, even if dusty can now be released of his midfield duties. CCJ is breaking the door down, would provide welcome relief ruck FROM THE FRONT HALF, making oppo defences constantly guessing how we structure up in F50.

Seriously, this is such an obvious tactical benefit that sometimes I feel our coaches tie themselves in knots about what we might lose if we make a structural change. I hope Dimma isn't veering into predictable, conservative mode.
Seems like we’re back to 2016 with a pigheaded Dimma in charge
Wonder how much the loss of assistant coaches Caracella, Leppitsch & McRae has affected our current situation

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Whatever happens this week we need to get out in big numbers to support our team. We need a big crowd at the G on Sunday in a show of force. Support the boys and help them get over the line with a big win. Give the cheats at AFL and the umpires a big *smile* you; jeer like madmen at the Crows and the umpires; give them a taste of what it’s like when we play at their home ground. We won’t get home town decisions because of the concerted campaign against us but let’s at least let everyone know what we think of the situation.

Hopefully we get some stars back. We need a big win and a percentage boost. Despite how badly we’ve been treated this season we haven’t played very good football. That is borne out in our pathetic percentage and also the fact that Carlton and Essendon are both only a game behind us. After 10 games; there is some perspective about how we’re really travelling.

We are travelling worse than at any stage of the previous four seasons. The boys need to fire up and get it done this week. And we need to get behind them. No excuses.

Our crowds are too quiet. When we're getting reamed by the umpires (almost every week) too many fans just sit back and take it. Other clubs fans - most notably Scumwood, Eagles fans, even Dudbourne fans - all go off their brain at home and get the "affirmation" thing going. Those 3 clubs, incidentally or not, all get a much better run with the umpires year on year.

Richmond fans are too quiet when it comes to letting the umpires know. Our players can't do it, our coaches can't do it, the media is not going to do it for us. The fans have to. As a fan base we've got to get a bit louder when we're copping it from the umpires. We're way too passive.

Reactions: 3 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
It’ll be nice to get Trent, Dion, Shai back this week but that doesn’t automatically make it a win v the Cows.

Whatever the magic ingredient is that’s missing needs to be rectified. We,re starting well for a half but then going missing after that.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007

Nailed it Carter.

But like you said Hardwick can be stubborn as a mule. He needs to make the hard call on Astbury.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Our crowds are too quiet. When we're getting reamed by the umpires (almost every week) too many fans just sit back and take it. Other clubs fans - most notably Scumwood, Eagles fans, even Dudbourne fans -

Dunno about Melbourne fans louder than tigers fans.

Maybe when they're 4 goals up?

from a personal POV, im getting sick of groaning and FFS'ing about the umps.

Its detracting from my enjoyment of the game.

it will be much more fun when we are winning.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Our crowds are too quiet. When we're getting reamed by the umpires (almost every week) too many fans just sit back and take it. Other clubs fans - most notably Scumwood, Eagles fans, even Dudbourne fans - all go off their brain at home and get the "affirmation" thing going. Those 3 clubs, incidentally or not, all get a much better run with the umpires year on year.

Richmond fans are too quiet when it comes to letting the umpires know. Our players can't do it, our coaches can't do it, the media is not going to do it for us. The fans have to. As a fan base we've got to get a bit louder when we're copping it from the umpires. We're way too passive.
This was not the case against GWS. I was sitting in the AFL members and the fans were more focused on booing the umpires after the game than cheering the team.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
This was not the case against GWS. I was sitting in the AFL members and the fans were more focused on booing the umpires after the game than cheering the team.

felt like that at the Gabba too.

I was part of it and it wasn't fun.

im gonna try change my perspective

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Nah. We're definitely too passive. I go to just about every game myself and then watch the replays after using **** expensive Sennheiser headphones that go so far as to pick up a heap of on-field chatter. Heh heh heh....even swearing and such. Quite interesting sometimes. Then I watch all the other games and I reckon other fan bases are louder in their disapproval. It's really noticeable comparing games on tv. Scumwood fans are the most vocal in Victoria. Think this issue has come up before with a few others here on PRE if I recall. Reckon they're right.

Last edited:

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

I was there and I didn't really think it was that loud. Same with the Brisbane game on tv. For all our fans that were there, it didn't sound that vocal. You could hear the Bronx cheer a couple of times and that was about it.

You might sit in your local or immediate area or section and it gets noisy ....cheersquad...grog squad or whatever.... but across the entire ground is what impacts. Around the entire ground as a complete fan base we need to lift a bit I reckon. We need more people like Ridley who throw their hot dogs up in the air in disapproval. Many a fan has had their head covered in sausage and tomato sauce over the years.

Last edited:

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Will Dion even be ready for seniors footy ? What's he missed , 7 games on top of no pre season games ?