Samson Ryan | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Samson Ryan

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Averaged 0.5 marks per game inside the forward 50 which, for a ruckman is considered above average.

Did you just refute my refute?

That's a pretty narrow stat with a small spread, the high man is 1.3 a game, even the great forward powerhouse Ivan Soldo goes at .7.

By my calculations Stanley took over 5 times the marks in other places than he took inside forward 50.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Did you just refute my refute?

That's a pretty narrow stat with a small spread, the high man is 1.3 a game, even the great forward powerhouse Ivan Soldo goes at .7.

By my calculations Stanley took over 5 times the marks in other places than he took inside forward 50.
We all recognise Nank drifts forward. To that end, his career game average is 0.3 goals per game. Stanley’s career game average is twice that at 0.6 goals per game. And with half the talent.

So, Stanley goes forward.

If you want to refute the AFL’s stats and classifications I suggest you contact Gil and co at AFL Headquarters. We would all like to see that given you love them so much. Would break your heart to refute them I reckon.

“Hello AFL. This is The Big Refuter here. I wish to refute some of your work. Hello ? Hello ? Are you still there ? Hello ?”

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
We all recognise Nank drifts forward. To that end, his career game average is 0.3 goals per game. Stanley’s career game average is twice that at 0.6 goals per game. And with half the talent.

So, Stanley goes forward.

You're talking career now, Stanley has played forward a lot during his career.

But last year he almost always took the bounce and then went back, playing basically as a centre half back. Blicavs went on the ball as an extra midfielder who could ruck and Hawkins took the ruck work forward. It was the most successful tactical shift of any team all season and a big reason Geelong won the flag. Melbourne were having a play with trying to replicate it at times on Sunday with Grundy and Gawn.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
You're talking career now, Stanley has played forward a lot during his career.

But last year he almost always took the bounce and then went back, playing basically as a centre half back. Blicavs went on the ball as an extra midfielder who could ruck and Hawkins took the ruck work forward. It was the most successful tactical shift of any team all season and a big reason Geelong won the flag. Melbourne were having a play with trying to replicate it at times on Sunday with Grundy and Gawn.
I told you: 0.5 last year is above average.

Now take your refuting to the AFL.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
With a total of 6 games with marks inside 50.
Who cares. That’s above average for ruckmen last year according to the AFL ….and I trust the AFL.

But if you don’t like the numbers and the AFL’s classification, then I can only assume you don’t trust the AFL ….and think that this is all some sort of irrational conspiracy or something by the AFL ? Or that the AFL have got it patently wrong ? Bizarre.

PRE is not the place for people like you that dont trust the AFL and have little or no rational support to uphold that position. They have no reason to get this wrong.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Who cares. That’s above average for ruckmen last year according to the AFL ….and I trust the AFL.

We all love the AFL, you're just reading the stat wrong.

If Dylan Grimes drifts forward for one quarter against Hawthorn this year and kicks 5, he finishes above average in goals for a defender, it doesn't mean he spent the year pushing forward.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
We all love the AFL, you're just reading the stat wrong.

If Dylan Grimes drifts forward for one quarter against Hawthorn this year and kicks 5, he finishes above average in goals for a defender, it doesn't mean he spent the year pushing forward.
The topic and number is about ruckmen. And where ruckmen are concerned the number is VERY simple and articulates that Stanley was above average. Your contrary belief has no foundation and neither does your misguided non- trust in the AFL.

Why would the AFL make this up ? Bizarre this whole disdain of yours for the AFL’s very clear and logical assessment.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
It's actually champion data, but I'll take that as agreement that Stanley did not infect, 'push forward last season.'.

Glad we could clear that up. :)
Champion Data. Contracted by the AFL. Published by the AFL as the OFFICIAL STATS PROVIDER !

Now again, if you don’t trust the AFL’s stats and classifications and refuse to accept them, then we can all only consider that you have some completely unfounded negative bias towards the AFL.

Last edited:

The Big Richo

Tiger Champion
Aug 19, 2010
The home of Dusty
Champion Data. Contracted by the AFL. Published by the AFL as the OFFICIAL STATS PROVIDER !

Now again, if you don’t trust the AFL’s stats and classifications and refuse to accept them, then we can all only consider that you have some completely unfounded bias towards the AFL.

sexy happy days GIF

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
where are the 200cm+ defenders that can counter the 205cm+ forwards?
Theyre usually around 195-198cm trying to stop the 205cm forward by bumping them out of the contest = free to forward
Hand on shoulder = free to forward Chopping of arms = free to forward
No team has the tall defenders to counter the tall forwards and they’ll receive frees and kick many goals from them
Thats where the game is going

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Not disrespectful at all.

Did you think he played well on Saturday? His performance had nothing to do with his past and whether he bleeds yellow and black. That is undisputed. It was an observation on what he provided to the team on the day.

Let me put it this way, if he didn’t play on Saturday he would not have been missed. That was his level and involvement in the game.

Hopefully come round 1 we see the real Jack.
So what your saying is that you know that wasn't the real Jack on the weekend.;)

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Who is more advanced?

Sam Darcy or Samson Ryan?

The former is being touted as someone who should/could play 22 games this year. This is in a forward line comprising of Naughton and Lobb.

Is it purely based on talent or where they were drafted?

Samson Ryan - 206cm 103kgs
Sam Darcy - 208cm 97kgs
Thats like comparing Dangerflog too Dusty.