Sam Lloyd | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Sam Lloyd

Re: Welcome Sam Lloyd

Most of these forward pocket goal sneak type picks are pretty speculative. You never see this type going top 20 usually. Many of them are inconsistent, flighty or lazy. This is a fingers crossedbut don't hold your breath pick for me. Having said that, yep this the type we need to blossom.

ToraToraTora said:
Most of these forward pocket goal sneak type picks are pretty speculative. You never see this type going top 20 usually. Many of them are inconsistent, flighty or lazy. This is a fingers crossedbut don't hold your breath pick for me. Having said that, yep this the type we need to blossom.

Think most late picks, apart from hidden West Australians, are speculative TTT. Definately a needs type pick - like you I'm hoping we've unearthed a hidden gem.
Time will tell.

We sure as hell have loaded up with medium to small forwards recently. And we've pecked away all over the yard. Late draft picks, rookies, other club discards/disgruntleds, and now a blue chip. "Imagine" if our run of outs continues. Lennon looks easily to be the best chance of a breakthrough as a long term HF talent.

As someone who has been asking the club to mine the State Leegues for years now hope this doesnt come across as knocking the club for the sake of it. But.

That is one of the more uninspiring highlight reels ever when you consider what role he'll be playing at AFL level.

Not matter what other attributes they have, guys his height simply dont make it unless they are uber-quick over a short space plus have outstanding agility.

Will have to bow to the clubs better judgement on this one as they are looking in the right area's & hopefully there's more than meets the eye on this one.

Leysy Days said:
As someone who has been asking the club to mine the State Leegues for years now hope this doesnt come across as knocking the club for the sake of it. But.

That is one of the more uninspiring highlight reels ever when you consider what role he'll be playing at AFL level.

Not matter what other attributes they have, guys his height simply dont make it unless they are uber-quick over a short space plus have outstanding agility.

Will have to bow to the clubs better judgement on this one as they are looking in the right area's & hopefully there's more than meets the eye on this one.

I think we jumped way too early on Lloyd, I'm certain he would have been available as a rookie. Would have much preferred Dwayne Wilson or Alex Spina to be honest. This is the problem with being rigid with rankings, one must also take into account natural improvement left in the 18 y/o's.

bullus_hit said:
I think we jumped way too early on Lloyd, I'm certain he would have been available as a rookie. Would have much preferred Dwayne Wilson or Alex Spina to be honest. This is the problem with being rigid with rankings, one must also take into account natural improvement left in the 18 y/o's.

You don't think Blair and FJ take that into account ?

Dimma obviously wants to make an assault on the top 4 and wants players that are ready to rumble. Could backfire. Hope we don't waste our rookie picks as we can balance things out if we pick some talented kids.

Baloo said:
You don't think Blair and FJ take that into account ?

To some degree, but we seem to be pursuing a strategy of plug and play with many of our later picks.

Harry said:
Dimma obviously wants to make an assault on the top 4 and wants players that are ready to rumble. Could backfire. Hope we don't waste our rookie picks as we can balance things out if we pick some talented kids.

Certainly, if we have a nice spread of juniors with our last 3 selections then one must judge the haul in it's entirety. The only problem with this approach is we may not get the pick of the litter.

Leysy Days said:
Hmmm off the top of my head Mark Lecras, Eddie Betts, Jason Porplyzia and Angus Monfries are a few that come to mind that aren't 'uber-quick' with outstanding agility who go alright.

bullus_hit said:

On talent you can't knock the club for picking this kid. He kicked a 100 in the bush, went to frankston and continued to hit the score board.
Looks exactly what we need.
This draft was super *smile*, if those kids were any good they would've been on a list.

bullus_hit said:
You don't think they do that in their rankings?

tigs2010 said:
You don't think they do that in their rankings?

Like I mentioned before, there have been selections in the past which have had all the hallmarks of short-termism. It becomes a situation of investing in the here & now, or looking at what they could bring in 2-3 years. Lonergan was a classic example of a player who could have filled an immediate role, but also a guy with limited upside. Ditto Stephenson over a guy like Hannath, Thomas over a highly rated youngster, or Lloyd over someone like Wilson or Spina. I certainly don't object to grabbing players who can step up immediately, but I think we've gone from one extreme to the other in what could be a draft with only 1 junior footballer amongst 5-6 recruits. If we pick up some juniors with our remaining picks, then I don't see an issue, however I feel we're imposing some limitations on the quality of players who are likely to be available. Like I mentioned earlier, Lloyd would have almost certainly been available in the rookie draft, I'd much rather have grabbed an u/18 player who for one reason or another, has slipped through the cracks in the ND.

As a case in point, would you rather have Templeton or Lloyd? Or even Wilson who is a more like-for-like proposition?

spook said:
A lot to like about Lloyd. His pace will determine his fate but his rate of improvement from bush legend to very capable VFL player in his first season is very promising. Starring in the state game was a great sign too.

I agree. I actually like his highlights reel. Going to be a tough task regardless, bu for some reason I feel more confident of Lloyd making it than Gordon.

Few questions on Lloydy though.

How good is his diving & staging for free kicks?
How high does he wear his shorts?
How does he rate on insufferable smugness?
How hard will it be to scream out Lloydy!!?

bullus_hit said:
Like I mentioned before, there have been selections in the past which have had all the hallmarks of short-termism. It becomes a situation of investing in the here & now, or looking at what they could bring in 2-3 years. Lonergan was a classic example of a player who could have filled an immediate role, but also a guy with limited upside. Ditto Stephenson over a guy like Hannath, Thomas over a highly rated youngster, or Lloyd over someone like Wilson or Spina. I certainly don't object to grabbing players who can step up immediately, but I think we've gone from one extreme to the other in what could be a draft with only 1 junior footballer amongst 5-6 recruits. If we pick up some juniors with our remaining picks, then I don't see an issue, however I feel we're imposing some limitations on the quality of players who are likely to be available. Like I mentioned earlier, Lloyd would have almost certainly been available in the rookie draft, I'd much rather have grabbed an u/18 player who for one reason or another, has slipped through the cracks in the ND.

As a case in point, would you rather have Templeton or Lloyd? Or even Wilson who is a more like-for-like proposition?
Hannath went before Stephenson for a start. This year the club didn't specifically go out and try recruit mature-aged players. They've recruited the best available player according to them. It's just turned out that way, that we've got 2 state-league players on the list. It's a shame that with the way it's panned out it looks like they've topped up and ignored the future but that's just the way it is. I suspect they go best available in the rookie draft too. Hopefully that doesn't include Thomas now that we've got some ready to go players, they don't see a need for him and can go best available. I am worried they've promised him a spot.

tigs2010 said:
Hannath went before Stephenson for a start.

We opted to bypass the PSD so Hannath was definitely within reach, axeing the X-man a year early could have easily opened the door for another senior spot.

bullus_hit said:
We opted to bypass the PSD so Hannath was definitely within reach, axeing the X-man a year early could have easily opened the door for another senior spot.
Forgot we could have cut Derickx. Was obvious we didn't want to take more than 38 but you're right about Derickx. However, Hannath hasn't done anything to warrant worrying about it.

Lloyd and Gordon are 23, not 33. We've hardly sacrificed the future.

I think getting lloyd and gordon has helped balance the list. We only had cotchin and rance around that age bracket.